The property’s history can be traced back as far as the 14th century and it’s first known owner, a knight by the name of Birger Ulfson. He was the son of Sweden’s only saint the holy Birgitta and the knight Ulf Gudmarson. Birger was a generous man and shared his wealth, mostly with Vadstena Cloister, where his mother was active. In 1386 he made his biggest donation yet by giving Krägga to the cloister. It remained in their ownership for 140 years.
That is when a new man rose to power in Sweden, King Gustav Vasa, who was crowned in 1523 and seen as the founder of modern Sweden. He claimed the state finances were in such poor condition that he had to withdraw the churches and cloisters rights to property ownership. c/o Häringe Palace, our sister hotel was also owned by Gustav Vasa. In 1640 the property was donated to the aristocrat Åke Tott, after that Krägga changed owners every now and then and was used for many different things. In the 1850’s this was an area known for its fine bricks, the brick was transported by steamboat to Stockholm and was used for quality architectural achievements, like the Stockholm City Hall. Brick production stopped in the 1940’s when focused shifted to farming with poultry and grain as the bread and butter business and huge fields of black current as an additional business.
The present mansion was built in 1830 and was given to Ms Agnes Seton as a wedding gift from her father, Patric. The Seton family lived happily at Krägga ever after, for a few generations. The next fortunate family to get to live in this beautiful place was the Lindblads who came in 1924 and did not leave until 1985 when Krägga was turned into a hotel.
There are a few families that have been here longer than all of the mentioned above; the deer, the pheasants, the moose, the foxes and the hares. They all seem to consider Krägga as their rightful home and freely wander on the property when it pleases them.
In 2008, the Ljungberg family bought c/o Krägga Herrgård and it is now part of the exclusive chain of historic hotels called c/o Hotels.